Which Optional to take?


Many aspirants are messaging me on how to take optional. Some are confused on how to select it and some are not sure about switching from a graduation subject to a different optional. I will try to answer that in this post.

First, let me start about myself. I did my B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from IIT Guwahati. Although my alma meter imparted me a sound knowledge about the subject, but finally I ended up taking Geography as optional.

When I started my preparation I understood that a good optional should have following credential:
  1. High scoring potential: In CSE-2016, my final marks tally was 1023 out which optional contributed a hefty 285. Hence its importance can never be overstated.
  2. Easy guidance, materials, notes: I started my preparations when I was working and posted at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. I know how difficult it is for a person outside Delhi to arrange for materials, books etc. 
  3. Help in General Studies, Essay.etc: A good optional's work does not end with optional paper I and II. It goes beyond to impart you a sound knowledge which can be used in Essay or GS papers. For e.g Geography helped me in attempting essay on 'Inter state water disputes' and many more questions in GS for CSE-2016
  4. Easy to understand and comprehend: one should feel connect with the optional for you are about to invest a lot of man hours in it.
After considering all these factors.. I zeroed on Geography.

But this is a personal call which cannot be binding on anyone. Hope it helps. All the best!

Comments

  1. First of all many many congratulation for your great success .I am Bibhash Kumar Ojha and i am preparing for civil service focus at 2018 .As i too have done Btech in Mechanical engineering in 2013 from lpu but i have opted geo as my main subject.I am working professional so i have no time to join coaching .Please help me and guide me like your mechanical brother .How to proceed specially for geo option and which book to refer and how to start for geo option .and if possible please provide me your email id .Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vibhash, I am planning to share my strategy with a dedicated post on it. Do check it later here!

      Delete
    2. sir plzz share strategy fr optionl...m cnfused with it

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your valuable points about taking optional .Could you share your strategy about geography optional

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will come out with strategy in due course of time.

      Delete
  3. thank u so much for ur valuable advise :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. please share ur strategy for essay if possible :) once again thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir, please let me some information... Which place coaching is better in IAS sir. Delhi or bangalore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir, Congrats
    Please post your detailed geography strategy ,with sources,test series ,notes making,etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Sir for your guidance,sir i have a request Can u tell us any source for penguin dictionary on physical geography,as it is costing 1800/- on amazon.
    thanking you in advance..
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice article, thank you for sharing wonderful information. I am happy to found your blog on the internet.
    You can also check - Essay on Importance of Hard Work

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

THE SMART STUDY!